Saturday, April 01, 2006

Thoughts on a Friday Night

Watched Thumbsucker and Belle Epoque tonight. Belle Epoque is a sexy farce, Spanish, not so great. Thought Thumbsucker was pretty good. It was relatively dismissed by critics. I certainly didn't find it riveting, but the acting was pretty good. Low key and truthful. I know a lot of people that worked on it. Which isn't that big of a deal. I normally read the credits of any film I see, recognizing names from other films or even a friend now and again. But I know about twenty of the folks that worked on that one.
What else?
Designed a t-shirt for the acting studio.
Fantasized about shooting this Rope-esque film on 35mm. Three takes for a ninety minute film at .42 a foot for recans of Fuji works out to about ten grand for film stock. Not in the cards right now.
Had a long chat with David about Pendleton. (Which isn't Rope-esque at all) That was encouraging and exciting.
Someone sent me a manifesto of sorts regarding making low budget films as we were about to go to lunch. I brought it along and checked our ideas against it. It made a good point for shooting on film and using name actors. However I asserted that we didn't have to follow that because we're not trying to break into Hollywood with this film. We're making a film to get better at something we love doing. We don't plan on making our money back. What a relief.
Painted the interior of our front door just a few minutes ago. When my wife used to work in Japan every couple of months I would stay up and rearrange our loft in NY. Henry would wake up to a new environment, sometimes not so happily. The first time I ate mushrooms I experienced that when Dan Eccles's step-sister came into the room and moved a guitar. "Put it back! Put it back, now." We used the word tangent a lot that night.
Cancelled my rough cut session tommorow with Melissa Henderson, the editor, because I didn't have time to adequately prepare. It's not like me to refrain from pushing for something. I'm really trying to take it easy. Aside from painting the door (which really wasn't that difficult) I've done exactly that today.
Tomorrow I'm going to put a little time in at the studio, but lounging as much as possible this weekend is the plan.
I belong to a fellowhip that proclaims, We relax and take it easy. For the longest time I thought that was some lazy bullshit. Lately, I'm starting to get the hint.

Buona sera,
nc

No comments: