Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sycophant No More

The quotes below seem to contradict one another, at least for many years I heard their polarity. I think it is quite clear that there are distinct differences between a Cassavetes film and a Hitchcock film. Especially in the manner in which they were concieved and produced.
The danger with Cassavetes for me is much the same as with Mamet's manifestoes -- their iconoclastic bombasts prompt sycophantic behavior in me. Remember, I'm trying to leave the purist box unchecked.
Fact is, I love movies from both directors. I learn and am entertained by both. (In spite of JC's proclamation that he doesn't seek to entertain.) They were true to themselves in the making of their films. Hitch was neurotic and needed order. He found the yellow of eggs creepy and the red of blood comforting. John was a narcissistic drunk and needed chaos in which to justify himself. (I wish I knew something about him like the eggs/blood thing to keep this parallel sentence structure going. Oh well.)
In any case, I love their films precisely because they adhere so strongly to their own point of view.
What is my point of view?
More will be revealed.


On the path,
Signore Direttore

2 comments:

STAG said...

A friend of mine presented me with a script last month....a 500 page work. 4 hours of stream of consciousness. He asked me to read it and comment on it. I told him I don't do nice commentary...he said "fine". Frankly, it sucked. I decided that perhaps the best thing would be to have a dis-interested party look at it. (Don't shy away, I'm not suggesting you!). What I DID suggest to him was to strip it down, get rid of half the characters, get rid of half the dialogue, reduce the locations from 18 to 9 tops, add in a bunch of directions to facilitate story boarding, and I suggested an alternative ending. He is mad as hell at me now!!!

Gutted his life's work....changed everything.....mutter, mutter, mutter. Anyway, this isn't a question, just a commentary on the difficulty of redacting a screenplay.

It was entertaining to read your blog. Thank you.

Bill
stag@cyberus.ca

Signore Direttore said...

Thanks for reading and your comments, Stag.