Saturday, April 15, 2006

No More Yucky Stuff

Tonight we were watching Six Feet Under Season 4, the one where David gets abducted by the crackhead. I love SFU, but I was really not into that episode. I said aloud, what's Claire doing? Let's go find Claire or Mother Fisher. I wanted to get back to the stories and their characters.
Last weekend I felt similar feelings watching a film at Longbaugh. There was a rape scene and a couple of other desperate sex scenes. I didn't like them. I felt exploited along with the actors.
I'm outlining yet another screenplay this week. It was on a course to be a noirish thriller, but I quickly reined it back to something exploring the characters' deepest needs and the ways they try and fail to get them met. I suppose the better films noir do the same. That's not where mine was headed.
It feels better. Not in any moralistic way, it's just something I can connect to and would want to watch.
It's both more challenging and yet easier to accomplish. Probably because discovering what is kind and loving in me is closer to me than icky stuff.

To the discovery of to thine ownself be true ... huzzah!

Nighty-night,
Signore Direttore

No comments: