Friday, October 12, 2007

Chain (Change) Step MARCH!

I always thought it was chain step march. It's the step in marching where you do a little shuffle in order to get back in step with everyone else. For the first time since I was in basic training way back in 1985 I questioned whether it might be change step. I Googled it and found that yes indeed I had misunderstood the garbled commands of drill sergeants for over twenty years.
I was watching Altman's 3 Women the other night as I noted in a post earlier this week. There's a quiet little moment where Sissy Spacek follows two twins away from their place of work. It's a very deep frame, the characters occupying less than a third of the screen. I noticed the twins were in step and Sissy was close behind them but out of step with them. As I said to myself, Oh she's out of step with the twins, the very moment I finished the thought, Sissy did a little skip step and fell into step with the twins. By this time they were very deep in the frame, just tiny. It was magic.

An Altman Fan,
Signore Direttore

No comments: