Saturday, March 01, 2008

Week in Review - oo8/9

Movies

Pather Panchali - I can't believe it took me this long to get around to Satyajit Ray. It was beautiful. I marveled at the simplicity of every element. I look forward to seeing the other two films in the Apu trilogy.

Golden Compass - I enjoyed it. I almost always enjoy it when I take my kids to the movies. It's like a freebie of sorts, like how many expectations can I possibly have as long as my kids like it? And Henry and I saw this one at the Bagdad for four bucks total. All qualifications aside, I liked the story and the effects. The acting was good. The ending/slash sequel set-up was the only weak link as far I'm concerned.

The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again - The straight-forward humor and comic timing was a pleasure. Too bad it's becoming a lost art.

Lola - The third of Fassbinder's BRD trilogy. Genius. I didn't know they shot the whole thing in single takes until after I enjoyed its grand gestures and flawless performances. Fasbinder knew what he wanted and he knew himself. He was so irreverent. He sexed up everything, knowing we like ideas and politics but that we're all whores and whoremongers at the end of the day.

Books

Sacred Hoops by Phil Jackson - A quick read. Interesting as both sports memoir and spiritual journey fare.

Fiction is still eluding me.

No comments: