Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Clean Well Lighted* Place

I went to my office today at 8:30 am and left it tonight at 10:30. I went out for lunch and dinner, but otherwise I was happily working. We moved the gear and some shelves in at the beginning of the month, but it wasn't until yesterday that desks, the edit suite and the rest of it all made the move.
I love it. It's the first time in many years that I've had everything in one place. All in one location with easy access to everything. No this upstairs or that in the closet behind the things you have to move to get to what you need.
I edited, I organized, I taught class, I reviewed materials. I was hands and eyes on. Which is how I want to be. I don't want to be jumbled and disconnected from my tools and source materials. I want the tools at the ready to accommodate inspiration not drain all my energy with its clutter and confusion.
It's quiet and warm. It's friendly. It's close by. It's cheap. It's bright, but not yet well lighted. Overhead flourescent fixtures with buzzing ballasts, though not for long. I'll get some more lamps in there soon.

Ciao,
Signore Direttore

No comments: