Saturday, July 26, 2008

Back in the New York Groove

Picked up Sway again after a two or three week hiatus. I was feeling a little off today, lacking a central connection. I read Chuck Pahlanuik's new novel Snuff after swimming a few laps in the pool. I ate dinner. Nothing seemed to satisfy my unsated appetite. So I said fuck it and opened my computer and started typing. I got a thousand words down. Not one of them seem worth a damn. I'm definitely out of touch with where I left off, but I'm not going to fret. Chuck's new book isn't great, but he writes it confidently. After reading it my work feels stodgy. I'm pretty sure I wasn't reading the hardcover first draft of Snuff. Besides, Snuff is in first person. That's almost cheating! Sounding clever and confident is much easier in first person. I've always found maintaining interest with the third person voice to be elusive. It is tough to keep it active and fresh. Overall I feel pretty fucking boring right now - too much practical responsibility going on. I buck at the reins of convention. Says the man who spent his morning buying appliances, sinks, faucets and heaters.
The groove will come back as soon as I stop judging.

Keeping the faith (really)
Signore Direttore

No comments: