Friday, June 29, 2007

Ever Heard of Sam Bowie?


In Sidney Lumet's book Making Movies he talks about watching football on Sundays in the fall. Reading that gave me permission to openly embrace the distraction that is professional sports. If you hate sports, stop reading this post immediately.

The Blazers had the incredible luck of getting the first pick of the NBA draft. The big question was Oden or Durant. The gentle giant or the dynamic athlete. I wanted Durant, the athletic sharpshooter. Portland chose Greg Oden, a nineteen year old with a history of injuries and the demeanor of Forrest Gump.
Back in 1984, Portland used its number two pick on Sam Bowie. Chicago grabbed a guy named Michael Jordan third.




We did get rid of Zach Randolph, who I saw jogging across the Hawthorne Bridge yesterday. I'm glad to see Randolph go. He's my least favorite Blazers of all time. Not only did we not get much in return for him - Channing Frye and the malignant tumor that is Steve Francis - but Z-bo is now on my other favorite team, the seemingly forever hopeless Knicks.
I want to go on the record to say we will regret this draft pick. Please, please, please prove me wrong Greg Oden.

No comments: