Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I Want I Want I Want I Want

I want more time to devote to writing and filmmaking. I want to be doing less running around. It seems I always have several errands to do - things that are contigent upon still more niggling tasks. This morning I need to take my bicycle down to Bike Gallery and get the pedals and cleats on my shoes fixed. I have been doing that task for six weeks or more.
After dinner last night I went for a walk with Maisie, our three year old. It was a treat to be sure. "Do you like flowery plants, Daddy? They are so beautiful!" We went to the farmer's market near our house. She was thrilled by the baby pears. Looking across Hawthorne, I noticed the windows on the top floor of our building need painting. I've been putting that off since 1993. It's going to take about two hours per window. Even at a rate of two windows a week I could manage the South Side by mid-June. By the way, the two hour schedule only applies to a good job. Stripping the windows down to bare wood and restoring them to their original 1928 glory will require at least another thirteen years.
When I say I Want - I want it now and all at once.
That clearly doesn't work. I've been waiting for the big three weeks with nothing else to do but paint those windows for thirteen years.

I often wonder what I could possibly excise from my schedule. I have a sneaking suspicion that patient integration is the key to my sanity.

¡viva!
Signore Direttore

1 comment:

STAG said...

You WANT a personal assistant.