Saturday, January 07, 2006

Map :: Terrain

The map is to the terrain as the script is to the scene. We did an exercise in Scene Study the other night that explored the relationship between a map and the terrain it charts. A map of the four blocks surrounding the studio was given to each student. They were told to prepare a one to two minute presentation from the info they got off of the map. One by one they came out to where I had the camera set up. About half made up a monologue remotely related or faintly situated to the four blocks. The other half was divided between two who spoke of their experience at the studio and the two that gave a discourse on Portland and the transformation it is undergoing.
They were then instructed to walk each of the streets slowly and carefully, observing the terrain with all of their senses. They then returned to tape a second monologue. Each was more grounded beyond the ease of having done it already. However, few sought to do much in the way of really letting the actual terrain inform them beyond an intellectual experience with their senses.
There was no wrong approach. I had hoped for a more profound experience to be had, but I refrained from saying as much. Instead I let the exercise inform me of how in touch each of them is. I saw some growth in a few of them and a lot of fear in others. I was surprised by an apparent lack of sensuality in a couple of long-time students.
I'm exploring a new approach to the text this year. Loosely based on Stanislavsky, we will explore the circumstances and events of the text extensively through improvisation and active analysis before first reads. I have long done a form of this in my own rehearsals as a director, but for some reason I have not integrated it into my coaching. Until now.
We'll see how it goes. I am wary of essentializing, which will be a likely pitfall of the coaching method that isn't a problem in directing as I manage the so-called spine of the script in that case. As always I will adjust as necessary as we go through our in-class rehearsals.

Regards,
Signore Direttore

No comments: