Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Days Are Staying Gray Longer

I'm not one to offer up the Seasonal Affective Disorder Blues, but wowza it's been 22 of 23 days of rain. Not your usual Portland drizzle, but rain so big it looks like backlit movie rain. Anyway, everybody I run into seems to be a little low energy.
I get up most days and take a seat where I can see the sun come up. The sky has been going from black to gray. A very Ansel Adams time of year, though I'm not seeing any clean white clouds in the sky to complete his zone system.

Last night in On-Camera we did a pretty neat-o exercise where we used those hard one word lines like Please, Yes and What. We got our direction, such as on the action or one beat after Action. We did different actions saying the same line: face-to-face, holding hands, shoving, hugging, straddling. Player B was instructed to take the first thing verbally from Player A's line. Player A, in turn, was directed to respond to Player B's reaction non-verbally. We covered it in a 2 and a CU.
I didn't see anybody take any chances or use the camera very effectively. Certainly that's why they're in class. Most notably, nobody asked for another take nor claimed to own their ideas or impulses. We have work to do.
Rather than assign a scene this month, we'll be going back to the simple one-line scenes and work on putting it through the lens. Being available is but a beginning on-camera.

I told my boss at the day job that I either need to work less yet retain my health care or make significantly more money. I think I'll be working less, initially at least. Which is just fine by me.

A River Dertchee,
Signore Direttore

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog I hope we can work to build a better health care system as we are in a major crisis and health insurance is a major aspect to many.