Sunday, January 01, 2006

Hogmanay

Happy New Year!

Blogging in the New Year with a sleeping baby on my chest.
The first thing I wish to express to you and myself this year is a blessing from Jonathan Swift:
May you live all the days of your life.

Rehearsals commenced yesterday for But A Dream with Heath Lourwood and Joey Boyd. I brought their wardrobe but wouldn't allow them to put it on until they earned it. Just as Heath is playing a corporal, he will have to earn that rank. I instructed them on a few important aspects of military life. I would teach Heath how to prepare their uniforms and gear and expect him to instruct Joey. I would leave the room and upon my return they were to come to attention or parade rest and greet me according to my rank, indicated by my hat worn to the front or the rear. I made them stand at attention and answer questions, do pushups and explore the given circumstances. I tossed hand grenades into the room and taught them how to respond. With only movies to inform their knowledge of the military, I felt it important to challenge their preconceived notions. In Heath's case, I challenged many of his ideas about the character within our boot camp improv without having to discuss them. It served as an excellent introduction to the physical life. When I released them, I could see their bodies change back to the way they were when they walked into the studio. They really had become recruits. By my own physical response I could tell that I too had been hard at work.

I saw King Kong yesterday. I truly try not to be a film snob. To prove my point, I would have rather watched The Fast and the Furious again than see King Kong. I really tried to stay with it, fighting off judgment of the melodramatic, representational acting. At times I was rewarded, though mostly I was held prisoner by its oppresive length and lack of story.

David Millstone, my friend and student, is away at Shakespeare and Company's Month-long Intensive. He's giving an excellent recapitulation on his blog Notes On Acting. (Link at right) Every morning I've excitedly gone to his blog to read his latest post. I am blown away by the steps he's taking and the frankness with which he's expressing his experience. I'm inspired in many ways by his words.

I've some reading to do today. And I'd like to see another film. The Squid and the Whale or Breakfast on Pluto should wash my eyes and my soul of Jackson's Kong.

Viva,
nc

No comments: