Monday, May 24, 2010

Moto Guzzi

I might go for the Guzzi instead of the Triumph.  I think Fellini would approve.  One of my favorite bikes in the past was my 1973 El Dorado, which had the same transverse V-twin engine as this new model.  We'll see when I go look at them soon.  The V7 Special has less power than the Bonneville T100 - about a hundred cc's less displacement.  I'm not really going for speed, but it's something I might need to consider.  I feel like if I need more power,  I can upgrade to another classically styled Italian bike in a few years:

I signed up for my safety course for the weekend of June 10.  I should get my motorcycle endorsement at DMV the next week and be on my new bike by mid-June.  In all my years of riding motorcycles I never had a motorcycle endorsement.  It was never a problem, but I never wore a helmet back then either, so playing by the rules or personal safety weren't the priority that they are now.
For a long time I didn't think I wanted to ever ride a bike again.  It crossed my mind a couple of times, but I always dismissed it as not a good idea for a man with three young children.  Statistically it probably isn't.  But I talked to my wife about it and she didn't see a problem, she liked the idea actually.  Her father is huge enthusiast, still racing The Isle of Man and other European classic races on his Nortons or his many other vintage bikes, including a Vincent.
Last week I took my Japanese clients to Langlitz for a visit.  I tried on some jackets as I don't imagine the Langlitz Cascade that I practically lived in during the late 80s and early 90s will ever fit me again.  As part of the fitting they had me sit on a motorcycle seat.  It felt really good and started to work on me over the weekend.  
I should think about it longer than that; right?  Nah.  What is there to think about when making a decision to buy something so impractical?

No comments: