Thursday, September 20, 2007

Lifestyles of the Poor and Indie

I regularly run into people that ask me what I've been up to, especially those that haven't seen me on set or at Gearhead lately. I'm sure some people are curious about me and others are curious about themselves. As in; how does one make it if they're not working all the time? Or; what does he know that I don't?
There is a big part of me that wants to respond categorically. The truth is, I'm not sure what I've been up to. It's certainly not conventional in that I don't keep regular business hours nor do I have a narrow job description. I'm so dependent on the people that I collaborate with that making set schedules to accomplish work that we're not getting paid for isn't very practical.
I'm not writing very much right now because I fear getting too excited about making another film at a time when I'm trying to oversee finishing some films. Were I not a very poor and independent filmmaker I would likely be preparing my next project while an editor finishes my previous film. Which is kind of what's going on - an editor is beginning to cut DW and I have written a treatment for what could be my next project. However, there are a lot of other projects aside from DW to finish.
I have some ideas kicking around in my head about some short films, casting some of the very talented actresses that seem to be popping up in my life lately. The trick of this journey for me is to not get too precious yet learn from my experience. Often I may be too concerned with the path of my technical progress rather than my journey of expression. With film, as in many arts, craft is highly important; though technology is often a distraction.
It might be time to make some more mistakes.

Pensativo,
Signore Direttore

No comments: