Friday, March 24, 2006

TGIF

It hasn't been a particularly involved week - no big events or stresses. A lot has been going on - very full. One of the things I'm becoming aware of is that being the type of father that goes to school conferences and baseball practices as well as games puts a huge demand on my time. I'm all too happy to be present in my children's lives - it is a privilege.
It does require some adjustments. Last night I had to go to bed at 8:45 pm. I had nothing left for watching a film or reading, let alone writing or editing.
I hired two assistants this week. One for Gearhead - a talented young woman with a background in art direction and a degree from Brooks. She escaped LA and sought a part-time job at an equipment house to have time for her own thing and to avoid the carrer burnout that plagues so many below-the-line film crew members. It's nice to curb the testerone level at ye olde grippe shoppe and to have a hand so that every last task doesn't fall to yours truly.
The other assistant I hired for my personal filmmaking. I need to finish some projects that have yet to be edited. They've been long abandoned because they didn't live up to my grand vision and the expectation with which they were produced. Well as I'm fond of saying recently, I'm on a spiritual path or I'm not. That said, the things I've started need to be finished regardless of the way I feel about their success or failure. The school of lower expectations need not be a place of shame and remorse.
He's a cinematographer educated in Edinburgh, where my wife went to university. Perhaps we might work together in that capacity as well.
Before I make any more films, I want to finish some past projects and get some work done around the house.
I've come to accept my growth and limitations to a greater degree. I look forward to allowing myself a greater latitude.
The wife and kids are off to the old country next week. I'll be alone. I'll miss them I'm sure, but I'm looking forward to a little peace and quiet. An entire King-sized bed to myself is also going to be a joy.
As my old friend Chuck said long ago, We've got nothing to prove and we're not going anywhere.
Wow, this is really jumpled. Told you I was tired.
I think I'll stay up to about ten tonight. Big, big Friday night.

Ciao,
Signore Direttore

No comments: