Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Factory Fascinations

I noticed on Facebook today that one of my very young friends, a very interesting model with whom I've worked, posted some pics of Andy Warhol and Edie Sedgewick.  N is about the same age as I was when I was fascinated by all things associated with Andy Warhol.  However, in my case it was the 80s.  There was no treasure trove of images and videos at my fingertips in cyberspace.  I checked out every book I could find at the library and read them.  Few of Andy's films were available on VHS. I went to see Warhol's films at the SF Art Institute, which was totally informal – a 16mm projector and a bunch of art students sitting on the floor in some foyer.  I listened to the Velvet Underground. When I was living in Germany, one of my German friends was somehow able to convince Nico to come meet him for coffee when she was in Munich while on tour.  Obsession with the Warhol crowd was Stefan's and my bond.
I'm not saying it was better or worse back then, it was simply different.  You had to work harder for much less and a lot more got left up to the imagination.  Andy thrived on mystery and salacious gossip.  He, like many of us, would probably have a love/hate relationship with the digital age.

No comments: