Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ripping and Running

I typed 11,000 words between Friday and Saturday night. This story is just pouring out of me. I haven't gone back and read any of it except for the occasional checking of where I left one timeline or another. It has totally earned my trust. I couldn't have planned the structure any better. There are plenty of places where it's going to need work. I'm bringing my screenwriting experience into play and just trying to get the first draft down as fast as possible. I can and will make more passes later. This method keeps me moving and allows the narrative voice to emerge without too much interference. I've never been able to sustain third person this long without having it start to sound painfully prosaic. I'm not sure yet, but I think rhythm has been the key. And the rhythm has come as a result of not being precious.

¡Viva!
Signore Direttore

No comments: