Saturday, April 12, 2008

Freedom From Bondage

It's official - we are not going to get internet at our new house. We got iPhones instead so we can stay current via email and check the internet for essential information. I don't have an internet connection at my office either. I find it liberating. When I do sit down with a connection as I am right now, I find that all the virtual places I used to visit bore me when I'm in the flow of my life. It's only when I'm seeking to check out that hours spent trolling seem compelling.
I don't expect to blog as much, it's already fallen off quite a bit. I like certain things like the week in review that I started this year to track my movie watching. I'm not sure how I'll do that. There's a great program called Journler that I've using for over a year now. Perhaps I can do some entries there and cut and paste. I'm still amassing interesting quotes from filmmakers which I archive in Journler, so I'll try to continue to post those as well.

I saw Paranoid Park again the other night. If I was looking for a conventional narrative and, or to be entertained, I would be disappointed. I can see why it didn't do so well. Thing is I want to make films very similar to GSV's. So for me seeing the film multiple times reveals more of what Gus is exploring.

I met with my favorite leading lady yesterday to discuss shooting a challenging long-from experimental film. She seemed less than eager, but I quickly realized that her apprehension is a good thing. I don't want to do projects that are slam dunks; what would be the point in that? As an exercise in pointing the camera and other production techniques, slam dunks are great. As an opportunity to explore retaining the heart and pathos that's behind all of my favorite ideas throughout the filmmaking process, the short and sweet needs to give way to patient and dirty.

Freedom!
Signore Direttore

No comments: