Saturday, January 12, 2008

Week in Review - oo8/2

Movies:

Where the Red Fern Grows - For the kids on family movie night. Simple and touching.

Ghostworld - I fell asleep the first two times I tried to watch this film. I'm glad I finally stayed awake. One of Steve Buscemi's best performances. I wanted it to be more magical visually than it managed to be. I love Thora Birch.

Sing-along Grease - Very fun and lively afternoon. That movie doesn't get old for me. Singing along with a theater full of people was pretty special.

Mysterious Skin - This film made me very uncomfortable. I considered turning it off. I can't say I'm entirely glad I stayed with it. I don't really like Greg Araki's films. I will say this was much better filmmaking than I've seen from him before.

Schizopolis - Not quite as straightforward as Grease, to say the least. If it wasn't Soderbergh, I would have bailed on a very unique film watching experience.

Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low Prices - Yep, Wal-mart sucks. So does the filmmaking, especially the ending.

The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T - One of Soderbergh's ten favorite films of all time. I happened to find it in the children's section at the library yesterday afternoon. It's amazing looking. Timeless. I didn't connect to it to a top-ten extent, but I liked it and so did the kids.

The Edukators - Fuck yeah. I've been meaning to watch this for a long time. Excellent. Sexy, smart, suspenseful. Very good acting. Articulate idealism, huzzah!

Books:

Candygirl - Confessions of an unlikely stripper by Diablo Cody - Yeah, I don't know. Good for her for writing it down and launching a career. She might be skeevy, but she's no dummy. It had a distinct, I tell you all my secrets but I lie about my past, vibe to it. Glad I got it from the library rather than a bookstore, that's for sure.

The Resistance - Ten years of pop culture that shook the world - Pretty dry so far for being about a period of pop culture that I was in the middle of.

No comments: