Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Office Space

I've been offered office space at a local film related place of business. It's a good sized office that could be sectioned off to accommodate my equipment, my editing suite, a conference table as well as a much-desired small private, for my eyes only workspace for writing and other creative contemplation in the back.
The rent is very reasonable and includes utilities and an alarm system. It's very centrally located on Ankeny and SE 9th, just off of Burnside.
There's also an adjacent open space that could work well for rehearsals, casting and perhaps classes. Yes, I'm thinking of teaching class again. But rather than backslide into the habits that I've shed from coaching acting I think I want to teach an on-camera class that's structured so that I'm teaching actor-students how to prepare, but when it comes time to be on camera I'm going to be very hands off. Just give people the opportunity to make mistakes in a safe environment and the opportunity to review them. I don't want to teach technique beyond breaking down a script and learning how to rehearse. The basics will come through the doing -- "Oh look, you're out of focus. You must not have hit your mark." I don't want to offer critiques until the shooting is done. I want to preserve the flow of working with actors from behind the camera.
I'm thinking about doing it because A, nobody else in town in offering what I have in mind. B, a couple of extra bucks a month would be welcome. C, I miss teaching. And D, I miss meeting and developing relationships with actor-students in that context. The cool thing is that if it doesn't work out the way I'm hoping, I can still afford the office without the teaching income. So spread the word that I'm interviewing potential actor-students.

Ciao,
Signore Direttore

No comments: