Friday, August 31, 2007

Grease is the Word



We watched Grease with our children last night. This morning Henry was quoting random lines from the film. He had a particular affinity for Jan. I recall that as a kid I wasn't into Danny or Sandy as much as I was into Sonny and Kenickie.
I haven't seen the movie for a long time, but I remembered it almost frame for frame. I really loved 50s stuff as a kid as well as anything teen gang related like SE Hinton novels. The films based on Rumble Fish and The Outsiders didn't come out until I was older. I would act out scenes from the books in my back yard. Even when I've watched those two films, my own images come back to me.
There are a lot of films and books that I really loved as a kid, but for some reason these three really stuck with me. One of my aunts bought me a novelization of the movie Grease. They don't really do that anymore since the advent of home video. It was great. Sonny was the narrator. Maybe that was why I focused on him in the film. In the book based on the movie, there were a lot of chapters devoted to going out and stealing parts for Greased Lightning and some gang fights with the Scorpions. Danny's absence earning his track letter was more pronounced. I read it when I was ten, so I'm not recommending trying to track it down, but it did leave quite an impression on me.

Shoo-by doo-wop she-bop,
Signore Direttore

No comments: