Friday, April 22, 2005

Momento molto

Ciao amici,
What a strange turn of events I've experienced in the past twenty-four hours. In an effort to meet some actors and lend a hand to a small indie film that one of my actor-students is involved with, I took a meeting to discuss the possibility of casting it for them. As a rule, I do not sign on to any project in any capacity without reading the script. Often I get a great feeling from someone and I'm just positive it's going to be great only to find some incoherent tripe that is insufferable beyond fifteen pages or so.
As we were talking about the main character, I thought he sounded an awful lot like me. He's based on King Saul of the David and Goliath saga. I wondered why Zach hadn't ever mentioned it to me. Did he think I would refuse to take part in a small film? Did he think I was the epitome of the 'Those that can't do, teach' refrain? I didn't want to say anything until I had read the script, in any case.
I read it an hour or two later. First scene takes place in a trophy shop. My dad owned a trophy shop when I was a kid. On page one, I was connected. It got better and deeper. The character richer. Pathos. Narcissism. Glory days. Self-will run riot. Oh my.
I called Zach and told him I was interested in playing the lead, Royal McKay. He said he had thought of me the first time we met last year, but was afraid to ask.
I called the director this morning. We talked about the story and the character. It was pleasant. I asked him some questions, to some of which I knew the answer, in order to feel him out. He seemed competent and at ease with it all. Though I sensed he had a better intellectual than practical understanding of directing actors.
Then we spoke of schedules and resources and crew. Oh so quickly the bloom leaves the rose.
I don't want to go to film camp. I don't want to have the experience of making a film for the f*ck of it. I don't want to wait and see what's going to happen. I don't want to cross my fingers. I mean I do want to be surprised, but I don't want it to be a cluster-f*ck. Controlled chaos, yes. Naive scrambling about, no way.
I called the producer. He really wants to make this film. He wrote it and his enthusiasm is typical of the novice filmmaker. Several years ago, I too, thought it was easy. You had a cool idea, you wrote it down. You got a camera. Some actors. How hard can it be?
Several films later: really really really really f*cking HARD. Almost improbable if you want to make something watchable. A masterpiece straight out of the box? Citizen Kane. I can't think of another first film that's a masterpiece. Do your homework on that one. Almost everybody made a first film (or two) before their First Film.
Back to the producer -- he offered me the helm. I didn't think he'd offer it to me. I got the sense I could lobby for the job after speaking with the director, but I wanted to find out more before I explored that agenda.
No matter, he called just now. We're leaving on a location scout after my Saturday morning class.
He's a man of action. Sartre would despise him. Sartre would despise me. I too am a man of action -- I love to call it out con nonchalance.
Seems as if I'll be calling it on set for a number of days this summer.
HIGH DESERT PSALMIST
I'll let you know how it goes.

ariverderchy,
signore direttore
aka Royal McKay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great!
want an Art Director?
;)

David Millstone said...

Congratulations!