Thursday, April 28, 2005

At Long Last

Ciao amici
I've been far and wide this week, putting this film together. It's been exciting and much work. Often the politics and planning dominate this phase of pre-production. Especially on a project where the director and over half of the production team have been replaced.
The trip to Burns was great. I learned a lot about the story and the production. It was good to see everything straight away.
The former director has tentatively hired by the producer to shoot the film. I don't think that's going to work, but for now I remain open to the possibilty. His ideas as a director were a bit quirky and arbitrary, lending a Farrelly Brothers meets Wes Anderson meets JoeDV Hack vibe to the picture.
As it is the story of David and Goliath in the contemporary world of cross-country running, I'm thinking The Bible is somewhat epic. Set in the high desert -- seems more epic than quirky to me. To keep it from getting too dry for the kids, I'm thinking Election meets Sergio Leone.
I posted some photos on my photo blog: http://flickr.com/photos/25348003@N00/
I've definitely got my hands full. The producer freely admits he has risen to his level of incompetence with the experience and energy that I bring to the project and he's passing that hat to me.
Ugh.
I hired a personal assistant today. If I can't clone myself, I'm going to need some help.
I tried to hire Greg James, a local actor that fits the bill, to play Roy(al) but his wife is having a baby first of July. So I started rehearsing tonight with one of my students. I did a lot of things I warn my students against. I was more concerned with the words on the page than with my partner. i didn't listen except to wait for the lines coming back to me. I wasn't working for anything except to prove to myself that I was right for the part.
But my able student imitated my refrain of, Did you do what you wanted to do? I copped to all of the above and he reminded me to listen. Then we improv'd a bit and I stayed with myself and I didn't do anything until something happened to me as we explored the scene. It was a good start.
There is no character. It's only me playing according to the given circumstances.
I know I've raised expectations a lot on this project. I'm concerned that I might not meet the expectations they've developed for Roy over the past eighteen months. (I got the writer to change the name. I loved Royal, but it was too Wes Anderson) I must remember that all I believe in as a director applies equally to me as an actor as it does to any other actors in this film. I've been admitting my fear to myself and others today. I'm grateful to have taught my students so well that they are there for me now.
I try to be pretty honest with myself about casting. Including myself. I feel I am the best man around town for this part. I think Greg could have done a hell of a job and left me to direct and produce, but he's going to be a papa. Good for him.
And good for me. I will rise to this challenge. I'm a talented man. I'll let myself take this opportunity and do my best in every regard.
One of my fears is that I'll look like Quentin Tarantino, a director that I believe greatly does his films a disservice by appearing in them. Hopefully I'll acheive something closer to Billy Bob Thornton or early Clint Eastwood. I persist in callng this film, High Plains Drifter, so maybe there's something to that.
There's a hell of a lot more to relate, but this week has taken its toll on me.
I've promised myself and my wife that I will do no work tomorrow.
My first day off since February 22 when London Calling started.
No phone calls or emails.
Nada.

pasta&bagels,
nc

No comments: