Monday, May 16, 2005

In All Fairness

I don't want to edit myself, but I do want to be accountable. My comments regarding the two fellows I'm mentoring have been bothering me. It turns out, the director of the short is very concerned with his son's health. I gave him my support and told him that it might be best to postpone his shoot until he's able to give it his full attention.
As for the other bloke, I remembered that I sent him a link to this blog at one point. I can only say that I didn't intend for him to read my comments about him when I posted them. I've said as much to him, though certainly no where near as brazenly.
There's likely some ethical transgression I'm commiting with my public airing of my frustrations with students/apprentices even if I don't name names.
I will be more conscientious in the future.
For now, I choose not to censor myself in this blog.

With some measure of humility,
nc

1 comment:

David Millstone said...

Blogging is an interesting forum, isn't it? At times, the public aspect of it promotes more thorough analysis than a private journal, I find, and is valuable for that. But, we also leave ourselves open to others reading us when we're still composing our thoughts, before we've finished processing stuff and the passion has cooled.

I've found that the dialectic between sometimes too-much candor and intervening bouts of apology has been illuminating for me, in my blog. Having to confess my transgressions to others makes it possible to admit them to myself....